Cricket in India is not a sport but a religion; this is a truth that cannot be denied. It can be concluded from the fact that TRPs shot up during match broadcasts and cricketers are not just any other sportsmen but are treated as celebrities. Through the years,the game has undergone many changes both in format and the way it’s treated.
Now ODI, test match and T20 are the 3 formats that it’s played in. And as the sixth T20 world cup will be played, here are some of the interesting facts about the newest series:
1. Brett Lee was the first bowler to accomplish hat-trick in this tournament. He got three wickets in 3 balls in a match against Bangladesh in 2007 T20 World
2. The highest total (260/6) in World T20 was scored by Sri Lanka against Kenya. They won that match by a record 172 runs!
3. West Indies opening pair Chris Gayle and Dwayne Smith hold the world record of 145-run partnership for the 1st wicket (against South Africa) in any T20 world cup match.
4. India’s highest score in a World T20 match is 218/4 against England.
5. Yuvraj Singh has the fastest 50 in World T20 in just 12 balls, also he became the only batsman to hit 6 sixes in 6 balls of Stuart Broad. This is still a world record.
6. Brendan McCullum has the highest score in a World T20 match. 123 runs in 58 balls vs Bangladesh in 2012.
7. Chris Gayle (117), Ahmed Shehzad (111*), McCullum (123), Suresh Raina (101), MahelaJayawardene (100) and Alex Hales (116*) are the only batsmen to score a ton.
8. ViratKohli (319) is the highest individual run-scorer in any single edition of T20World Cup played at Dhaka in 2014.
9. ShahidAfridigot ducked five times in T20 World Cup. It’s an unwanted world record.
10. Chris Gayle holds the world record for hitting most sixes (43) in all 5 editions together in this coveted T20 championship.
As the world Cup T20 kick starts today, MyFlowerTree wishes for Indian Team that they emerge as the champion once again.
MyFlowertree: T20 World Cup 2016